Montessori at Home?

Is it possible to use Montessori at home

When people learn I have a background in Montessori (about 17 yrs) I am often asked my thoughts on using Montessori at home.  I say 'Absolutely!'  Now if you had asked me that question 15-16 years ago, I would have said "no".  But time has a wonderful way of making us wiser and helping us realize (through twists and turns) that life isn't black and white. Life offers a spectrum of colors that should be embraced.

Each child is different, and each family situation is different. Some children require additional services that are not available in Montessori schools, and many families can't afford to send their children to Montessori schools. But thankfully, Montessori is suitable for everyone and it is possible at home!

The Montessori method is the best guide

As a mother of 3 children I've come to believe that if we do the best we can with what we have, with the best of intentions, the greatest amount of love (and a lots of prayers!), our children will grow up to be confident and intelligent individuals. Now the important thing is to make sure that we have the best information to guide us on how to guide our children. I truly believe that the Montessori method is the best guide.

Modifications to the Montessori environment

Of course there are modifications that you'll have to make, and you must be willing to bend your mind a little to accept it's not going to be a perfect Montessori environment. Including Montessori in the home can mean different things to different people. There are as many opportunities and variations on how Montessori can be used, as there are ... Read full article.

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 11/22/2010 6:09 PM Deb - Living Montessori Now wrote:
    Great post! I definitely agree that Montessori is "an approach to life." I love to see parents gain the knowledge and confidence to use Montessori principles and methods at home. Thanks for sharing the inspiration and photos of how you used Montessori at home. I added a link to your post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/08/17/how-to-set-up-a-montessori-preschool-classroom-at-home/
  • 11/23/2010 8:31 AM Lauren wrote:
    Thank you for a great article! We're considering the option of doing preschool at home and this has been very helpful. I am wondering though, I don't see things like the pink tower, the cylinder blocks, red rod, number rods and other basic Montessori item (or what I've been told are some of the basic items) - are they just not visible in the picture? I'm just trying to figure out what I can do without and what I really need. Thanks! Lauren
    1. 11/23/2010 11:19 AM Montessori Print Shop wrote:
      Hi Lauren,

The pictures I have in this post are very early on in our home school adventure. Unfortunately it does not show all of the materials we used. I became so busy with the kids that I didn't get my camera out often!  We did purchase some of the sensorial materials - but not all of the wooden ones. We used some substitutes and a few materials we simply didn't have the space for (ie. red rods and number rods). We did make a mini set of number rods - which did get the concept across.

I think it's important to remember that many concepts in the sensorial and practical life area can be learned by simply allowing your children to explore with everyday objects that you probably have around your home. I would have loved to have a full set of Montessori materials for our home school ... but I have to be honest and say (now that my children are past the primary materials) - I'm glad we didn't put out all the money for a full set. Spend some time reading through home school blogs that incorporate Montessori materials and you'll find some great alternative/substitutions for some of the more expensive materials. It really is up to you to decide what your children really need and find the balance between what you can and want to spend on the materials.

Hope that helps!
  • 11/23/2010 3:29 PM Karen wrote:
    Wonderful affirmation of homeschooling with Montessori! You used the specific example of the 3-6 stage--do you have any tips for those of us who are homeschooling older children? How have you adjusted your home school as your children have gotten older?
  • 11/24/2010 2:44 AM Chern wrote:
    Thank you for the wonderful post on homeschooling the Montessori way! I, too, wonder how would you manage it for older children (am homeschooling elementary-aged children using the method too and I LOVE using your materials for my younger children). Nonetheless, your post is really helpful!
    1. 11/24/2010 9:50 AM Montessori Print Shop wrote:

Thank you for both your appreciation of the post and your question.  Our plan in the very beginning was to homeschool our children through the end of high school. But, life happens, life changes, and sometimes plans don’t work out as they are originally intended. Our homeschooling plans changed a few years ago and our children now attend our local Catholic school.  I don't believe our efforts to further educate our children have stopped since they've been attending 'school'. We raised them since birth with the Montessori philosophy at the forefront of our minds and hearts - and they truly live life (both at home and in school) exploring their curiosities without fear or extensive boundaries. We are very fortunate that they attend a school that gives them a freedom not found in many other schools.

If you’re interested in reading more about homeschooling children after the age of 6, you really should visit the blog Montessori for Everyone. Lori Bourne is a trained 6-9 Montessori teacher who homeschools her 2 children. She’s written many articles on homeschooling elementary children and sells some fantastic Montessori elementary materials.

• 11/27/2010 5:36 PM Nick wrote:
    Thank you for this article. My wife and I are considering homeschooling our child and your article definitely makes it seem less daunting and more doable!
  • 11/29/2010 9:24 AM Lucinda wrote:
    I always thought I couldn't use any Montessori because I wasn't trained. Thanks for helping me see that I can and that I also don't need all the fancy top of the line materials too. And thanks for the free materials - every little bit helps! Lucinda
  • 12/2/2010 12:25 PM Steph wrote:
    I was beginning to wonder if it would be possible to homeschool my child. I'm getting so much pressure from my in-laws and parents to send my daughter to school. But after reading your article I'm feeling much more confident. Thank you for taking the time to write such a long detailed article.
  • 12/9/2010 5:17 PM Dana wrote:
    It is interesting to see children of different ages work together. We just have a large family, but the young ones do learn so much from the older ones and the older ones learn from that.
    1. 12/9/2010 5:35 PM Montessori Print Shop wrote:
      Hi Dana,

We only have half the number of children you do, but it really is lovely when they teach each other by their words, and especially by their actions.  Thank you for the link to your site .... I've been giggling over the cartoons for a few minutes now

• 2/21/2011 1:19 AM Kelly McG wrote:
    Thank You VERY much for posting this encouraging blog post. I homeschool my 4 children (6,4 & 2 year old twins) and really enjoy it. I love the Montessori principles and have had a strong desire to teach accordingly, but I have not found too many homeschooling friendly Montesorri resources. Your post has been lovely as has your print shop. Thank you again!
  • 7/4/2011 7:33 PM Jessica wrote:
    I am absolutely putting a Montessori classroom in our house. I told my husband that before we even got pregnant with our first. He is only 9 months but when he is old enough our front living room will be his Montessori classroom for him and his friends

Page: 1 of 1